Just had this passed on to me and thought it was a bit of fun so worth a play around with.Â The idea is to post 5 things that people might not know about you, then tag 5 fellow bloggers so they can do the same.Â A kind of viral marketing thing, and certainly some top notch link bait, but I think it could be interesting to see where small networks of bloggers eventually lead out to.
I decided to pass this on to: Dean Bloomsfield, Brendon Scott, Craig Wilson, Dave Carruthers and Brian Turner, mainly because I’ve chatted with them all in one form or another before and I know they blog regularly.
So on to the 5 shocking (or utterly boring, depending on your perspective) facts about me that you might not know…
1.Â I’ve had an insane amount of jobs in my time – I’ve worked for Scottish Opera, the Scottish Executive, the local social work department, restaurants, estate agencies, national banks, shops, marketing agenciesÂ and a plethora of other random jobs.Â My top 5 (in order) are:
- My current job (freelance SEO, working from home)
- Night shift in a 24 hour shop when I was at Uni (I don’t like mornings)
- Washing dishes in a restaurant while I was still at school (they gave me a beer after I finished work each night!)
- Temping at Scottish Provident (crap job, great team and we had loads of great nights out!)
- Working in Spain (crap jobs, great weather!)
2.Â I once jumped out of a 1st floor window to prove that I could do it without hurting myself.Â I then did it another 2 times because people arrived who missed the previous efforts.Â It was 1st year at Uni though, and there may have been some beer involved.Â I think I twisted my ankle the 3rd time.Â It’s the charm.
3.Â Given number 2, you may be surprised to find out that I’m a member of Mensa.
4.Â I play poker regularly with my mates and much to their dismay, I’m actually getting quite good at it.Â They would of course put it down to luck, but we all know differently, right? Â It’s a lot like SEO – learn the basic rules, get a little practice, then shove all your chips in, close your eyes and hope for the best.
5.Â My first experience with SEO was starting with an agency and being introduced to WebmasterWorld.Â And then being given the task to setup loads of fake sites to build links for our client’s site…I didn’t stay there long!
If anyone is interested in how this is working out in terms of a viral marketing campaign, check out the technorati stats which update more or less in real time.Â As of midnight 14th Dec 2006:
- Fused Nation – Rank 147,655 (46 links, 24 blogs)
- Jeff Pulver – Rank 4,600 (1,698 links, 526 blogs)
- Anyone else wants their blog added to this, add a comment with your current technorati details.
tag, you’re it!
Share this article...
...or leave a comment below.